Sunday, October 24, 2010

Asbestos and Acouchi

PART ONE: IN WHICH THE MIMES AND FET BOARDS EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO ASBESTOS

Once upon a time, Stephanie decided that it would be a good idea to be responsible and leave future generations of Fordham theatreites with a lasting gift from the 2010 Mimes and FET boards.  She decided that we should clean and organize the prop and costume rooms.  I thought this was an excellent idea.

Until this morning.

Because you see, I didn't take any "before" pictures, but most people will attest that the prop room looked a little bit like this:

Except with like twelve pieces of furniture stacked precariously in the middle of the room, ready to crash down at any moment.  I took this picture from an episode of Hoarders.  I felt it was the only appropriate situation that could show what a problem we had on our hands.

But with a bunch of unsuspecting underclassmen who wanted to become Mimes ("Hey, if you come to this alternate strike, you can be a Mime in just a week!  We promise it won't be hard...") we worked miracles.  And pretty soon, the prop room looked like...


This.


Well, actually, like this, because we had to put the furniture we saved back into the room.  But the first picture is just so dramatic.


And the dumpster looked like this.  I would say that we actually did a service to the Fordham community because we saw more than one Fordham student looking through it to see what they could find.  Yes, I'm serious.

And there may or may not be a piece of wood in there that has asbestos on it, but it's okay!  It was probably just... dust... or something...

And then Dave and I found a notebook.

Our guess is that CHRIS BENNETT made this.  Are we right???


There were some keen observations inside.  My favorite is, "Pete is a good reader."


Dave was especially surprised to find a portrait of himself in it!

Ha.  Hee.  Ha.  Ho.  I crack myself up.

----------
PART TWO: BACK TO FRESHMAN YEAR

The rest of this weekend was a little bit of a mish-mash of everything, but here are the highlights.

We had a Spelling Bee reunion, and I don't remember taking pictures.  Evidently, however, I did.

I felt like this one best captured the overall mood of the night.


My parents came for family weekend and we went to the zoo.  I met this gorilla and liked him very much.


I found an ACOUCHI in the monkey house.  This is what an acouchi looks like, in case you were wondering.


It also looks like this.  It wouldn't stay very still for me.  Butthead.

And also, Google spell check is telling me that acouchi is spelled wrong.  But I know that they are wrong because it is a word in Spelling Bee and I definitely know how to spell it, dammit.


I had some much needed girl-time with Andrea and Jen, and we met a cat.  I think it's the first cat that has ever liked Andrea!


It liked Jen too.  So did the guy who didn't speak English at the counter.


Then we went and pretended we were freshmen on Eddie's.


Oh, the memories.

-----
Love,
Courtney

2 comments:

  1. I remember the last time we cleaned out the prop room....Tom managed to knock over a large shelving unit full of glass onto himself

    ReplyDelete