Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Operation: Detox

As you might have assumed, I made it back onto American soil safely on Saturday.  If I hadn't, there would have been five hundred million angry posts here.  Unless, of course, I had been kidnapped, in which case I probably wouldn't be focused on updating my blog.  But that didn't happen, and I'm home, and I think I left my brain in Europe, which is why I haven't updated this thing.  I suppose it will arrive in a few days, along with my American sleep schedule.

Since I've been home, I've been looking at my fellow EF break-er's pictures on Facebook while I work up the energy to upload my own (they are coming onto my computer as we speak... all 960 of them), and I promise to post some here once I have the time.  Each time I look at more pictures, I miss the trip so much!  Yes, there were a lot of problems with the logistics of the trip, but the places we went and people I met were amazing, and it's hard to accept that it's over already.

The other thing I've started since being home is an all-out European detox.  Modeled after my world travel-experienced coworker and friend Amy, I need to seriously reform after these past two weeks.  Now, I know that my definition of "detox" is much different than some.  I'm not going on an all-liquid diet or only eating things that are colored green or something.  No, here's an intro to the Courtney version of detox:

---------------
Part #1: Drink lots of water

I don't know what the deal is with Europeans and water, but apparently they hate drinking it over there.  A regular bottle of water is like 3 Euros, which is nearly $4, which is so outside of my budget.  Plus, being on a bus without a "working bathroom" all day makes you really nervous as to when the next rest stop will be!  Therefore, I spent most of my trip to Europe abstaining from water, which was probably the opposite of what I should have done.  So, the first part of the European detox is lots and lots and lots of water.

Current progress status: Very good

Part #2: Get your butt back to the gym

Yes, I know that I did a decent amount of walking in Europe, but when you are sitting on a bus for eight hours at a time, you tend to feel exceedingly lazy.  This is compounded by the fact that I was consuming lots of calories via delicious European food and drink, which of course you HAVE to experience on a European adventure, right?  I couldn't help it, right??  Anyone???  Please?!?

Anyway, the point is that I've gotten really out of shape between the eating and lack of water and lack of regular exercise.  So, it's back to Gold's Gym, which I'm sure has missed me, and back to Zumba and BodyPump, which I hope have missed me, because I have missed them.  Sort of.

Current progress status: Took the first step... it only goes uphill from here!

Part #3: Stop eating junk. Especially carbs. Mostly

Ok, here's where detox really hits hard.  I ate so, so much good food in Europe, but 99% of it was bad for me.  Baguettes, cheese, pizza, pasta, chips, fries, fried food, croissants: you name it, I ate it.  By the end of the trip, I just felt gross and disgusting.  So, yesterday I went to the grocery store, and here is a piece of the line-up:

WARNING: BAD QUALITY PHOTOS AHEAD!


Looking at this, it looks pretty good.  I got a lot of fruit, some yogurt... let's take a closer look, shall we?


Light & Fit yogurt.  The name says it all: "light" and "fit."  Totally detox.


Apples in a bag.  They are pink lady apples, to be precise, and they are super delicious.  They are also Joe's favorite, which is why I eat them too!


Strawberries!  They were 2 cartons for $4 at the store, and these ones are incredibly sweet and delicious.  I like to mix them up with my yogurt (see above) and cry a little before I eat them for a snack.


Guacamole.  Now, this isn't as good as it could be because it's in a package, and I could easily get carried away and eat too much, but in moderation, this is completely acceptable for detox.  Besides, the avocados were hard and not good for guac.  And sometimes, I just need my guac.


Carrots.  Steal my heart.  Once upon a time about a year ago, I promised Joe's mother that I wouldn't eat baby carrots anymore because they are manufactured and unnatural and could be washed in bleach.  So, I buy a big bag of carrots, peel them, and cut a ton up for snacks.  Yesterday, I gave myself a blister doing this, but I chose not to include a picture of that, for the sake of your sanity.

Also, organic carrots taste better.  It's a fact, according to me.


Chex mix.  THIS COUNTS!  Look at the label: 60% LESS FAT than potato chips.  Sure, they aren't the best, but when I want my munchie fix, I would much rather turn to these babies (sour cream and onion, omg) than some greasy chips.


But wait a minute...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!?

Swiss chocolate delicious candy bar, you are not part of my detox diet.  I'm sorry, it just can't happen.


But dark chocolate is good for you, right??....


And hazelnuts are good for you too, right???...


Okay, candy bar.  You can stay.  BUT ONLY IN LIMITED QUANTITIES!

And if George Darden steals you out of my desk, I'll be upset.

---------------
Now that my photos are done uploading, I will try to find some time to upload more.  There are definitely a lot of good ones, and I want to live vicariously through them again.  Please??

Love and attempted self-control,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment