Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pannenkoeken!

When someone asked me whether I would like Dutch food, I had no idea because I didn't know what was considered "Dutch food." after two days in Amsterdam, guess what? I STILL didn't know what Dutch food was. I ate a lot of fries and sandwiches, but nothing that would really be considered different. Even the breakfasts were pretty normal (fruit, bread, some sausage and eggs). In fact, most Dutch cafes serve international food... Argentinian or Asian. I was not about to tell everyone I ate CHINESE FOOD in Amsterdam.

But then...

But then...

We found pannenkoeken.

Amy had told me about pannenkoeken before I left, so I knew that I had to seek it out. It is basically a Dutch pancake (the restaurant was called "Pancakes! Amsterdam") with whatever you want either inside or on top of it. It reminds me of a cross between a pancake, a crepe, and an omelette. If you can imagine that, its a pretty accurate description.

I got a mushroom and onion pancake (pictured above) to be adventurous. It was good, but I wish it had had some sauce. My friends got fruit pancakes - banana/chocolate and strawberry/banana/whipped cream. They were very filling and delicious.

So now I can say that I LIKE DUTCH FOOD! I've just learned to stay away from anything that is imitation-American (ie: hamburgers) because it will not be the same.

Tonight we are going to an Argentinian restaurant and I can't wait to try something new. It's our last night in the city, so we have to be adventurous!

Love and pannenkoeken,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment